Sunday, April 29, 2012

BBRS Interviews: ManOnWire



Who is ManOnWire? Where did you get your name from?
ManOnWire is my production name, my real name is Jamie Whitehead. I got the name from a 2008 documentary Man On Wire which tells the story of Philippe Petit whom in 1974 illegally performed a high-wire walk between the twin towers in New York.

What was your first encounter with Hip Hop?
I would say probably around 1993. I was mainly listening to grunge/metal & I heard a soundtrack from the film Judgement Night where Hip Hop artists collaborated with artists from the grunge/metal scene such as Teenage Fanclub & De La Soul, Biohazard & Onyx, Pearl Jam & Cypress Hill etc. Around the same time Beastie Boys released Ill Communication, Wu Tang released 36 Chambers & Cypress Hill released Black Sunday, three amazing albums which are now considered by many as classics. Early 90's was a great time for Hip Hop.

How long have you been producing?
I've been producing for about 8 years but it's only in the last year or so that I've made a concerted effort with it.

Who influenced you to start producing?
Listening to producers like Madlib & Dilla, how they flipped old soul samples got me wanting to produce. I have a passion for all things soulful which is mainly down to my parents playing old motown & 60's soul music when I was growing up. My father used to be a record collector so when I started producing I had a library of vinyl at my disposal which was a massive help.




What inspires you?
I would say just listening to good music made by humble people. Since I joined SoundCloud I've discovered loads of talented producers/artists, so everyday I hear some amazing music which inspires me to get better & try harder.

What equipment do you use?
I use a MacBook Pro, Ni Maschine, Roland SP-404sx, Akai mpk49, Digi 002 Rack, Ludwig drum kit, Ableton Live 8, Reason 6, Technics 1210's & a tonne of vinyl.

How much time do you invest in making music?
If I'm not working or watching sport then you'll probably find me either digging for samples or making beats.

Who have you worked with? Who do you want to work with in the future?
I've been blessed to work with loads of talented people, Ibn Hasan, Kid Icarus, Handbook, B.Lowe, YourManManic, Mez, Byrdversion1, Keith Price, MadColour just to name a few. In the future I'd love to produce an album for someone like Brother Ali, Talib Kweli or a UK artist like Jehst but at the same time I'm more than happy to keep producing for underground artists on SoundCloud.

What project are you currently working on?
I've been working on my own album for probably a year now so hopefully I'll finally get round to release it at some point in 2012. You can also expect some collaborations with various different artists & producers from SoundCloud in the next couple of months & there's talk of a possible production for a fairly big artist but I can't really say more than that at the moment just in case it doesn't happen. I've recently started a hip hop collective called Pragmatic Theory & so far we've released 2 free albums on Bandcamp & will be starting a new project with them in the coming months.




Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
It's hard to say really, as long as I'm healthy & enjoying the music I'll be happy. I've been talking with a couple of people about setting up an independent record label but what with the economy & the state of the music industry it hasn't felt like the right time, so I'd like to get that up & running in the next few years.

Any advice to upcoming producers?
My advice would be just immerse yourself in the music & dedicate as much time as possible to learning the trade as like anything in life the more you put into something the more you get out of it. I'd also recommend to any producer to get on SoundCloud & network, there's loads of independent labels & bloggers on the site so if you consistently release good music you will be noticed.

Any last words?
I'd like to firstly thank everyone at BBRS for your support & interest, I'd also like to thank anyone that has taken time to listen, download or comment on my SoundCloud page. All the amazing comments & reviews I get really does inspire me & I'm truly humbled by the love & generosity people have shown me.

Thanks to ManOnWire for the interiew.

No comments: