Sunday, November 21, 2010

BBRS Interviews: Kyo Itachi



Hello Kyo, the first question that came to my mind is how you came into Hip Hop? Who have inspired you? And more important, how you got into producing?
I was introduced to Hip Hop in 1996, when I played basketball as a junior. The seniors used to bring their Technics MK2 turntables with 'em along with some maxi 12"es of Wu Tang (Ol'Dirty Bastard's "Brooklyn Zoo" etc.), Boot Camp Click, Camp Lo, Rawkus, Eastern Conference. There I met Azaia (a beatmaker), who's my best friend today. He lent me some CD's and some videos cassettes, which taught me many things. It's because of him I got into Hip Hop where I am now as we are both always motivated. I felt an energy rising when I was listening to good Hip Hop like Pete Rock, Madlib, Kankick, Oh No, DJ Premier, Erick Sermon, DJ Khalyil, Dr. Dre, RZA, Hi-Tek, Buckwild, Beatminerz... The list could be far longer but all these producers have inspired me so much. I focused most on the instrumentals, the melodies. Back in 2000, when I saw that the MPC2000XL came out I went crazy, the next day I bought one. Kyo Itachi was created in 2007 and became my alias like Quasimoto for Madlib.

When did you start producing?
I started producing in 2000, that's 10 years right now. I make some productions everyday.

What kind of equipment do you have? What turntables do you use etc.?
Nowadays I got an MPC2000XL and MPC3000. I use a turntable by Stanton, but I'm thinking of buying a Technics MK2. Between 2000 and 2010 I've had an S950, SP1200, EPS16, MPC2500, MPC1000, MPC500...

If you had to make a choice what are your favourite vinyls?
1. Lootpack "Da Antidote", 2. Method Man "The Riddler", 3. J-Zone "Music For Tu Madre", 4. Quasimoto "The Unseen" and 5. Lord Finesse "The Awakening"

Which singer of the sixties and seventies has inspired you most for your samples?
Honestly I don't have a special one, I sample everything that I like ranging from the fifties 'til now. Just to let you know some: Gap Mangione, David Axelrod, Galt MacDermot, Roy Ayers, James Brown. Most of the time it's done in a blink of an eye.

After releasing the very good "Bankai Beat Tape" & the excellent new album "Musikyo" which came out recently what are you preparing on releasing next?
I'm working on an instrumental project for Japan called "Love Mugen", to be released soon. I'm planning to do albums with John Robinson, Wildchild, Stahhr, Wildelux, LMNO and D Strong. I also got a compilation album coming up called "Shinigamie Records presents Underground", my second album, and an album called "NY".


True Hip Hop fans consider Digi Crates & Domination Recordings as some of the best labels nowadays. How you did get in touch with these labels?
I must admit that I did have much problems to find a proper label in France. I got in touch with Hus of Tha Connection who asked me if I had a finished project so I let him listen to "Musikyo". He liked it and let me sign with Domination and Digi Crates. Although I started Shinigamie Records and most of my projects will be released on it.

On your latest release "Musikyo" I saw that you have collaborated with American artists like John Robinson, Wildchild, LMNO, Finale, Copywrite, Rasco, Sene, Wordsworth, Tha Connection & Stahhr. How did you get to work with all these artists?
I contacted them via their MySpace page and hooked them up with some good productions. They have fixed a reasonable price or sometimes I even did pay for time in the studio. We just went for it!

Do you have a project with a French artist? If so, with whom?
No! Usually I do not produce for French artists, but I think that I will do an album in the future with some that I respect, like Jaeyez (Afro Jazz), J-L, Venom, Oxmo Puccino...

You already mentioned some producers who inspired you. Who are your favourite ones, do you have a top 5?
1. Madlib, 2. DJ Premier & Pete Rock, 3. RZA, 4. D.I.T.C. (Buckwild, Lord Finesse & Diamond D) and 5. Hi-Tek.

What is your vision on Hip Hop nowadays, with all these guys that make their own beats and drop it for free or sell it on the internet?
I do have only one vision: I'm against the digital! But well. Artists must continue to release albums on CD and vinyl. The factories close, shops too. R.I.P. Fat Beats NY.

Thanks to Kyo Itachi for making time to do an interview with Beatbox Radio Show.
Interview done by RaZor, additional translation & editing by Fats.


Download "Bankai Beat Tape" here

Buy "Musikyo" here

2 comments:

Technocrat said...

against the digital? that's some backwards stone age way of thinking right there.

Unknown said...

Lol how can he be against the digital?...there is no way that this album was made on reels and I don't see a LP release so...

It's a dope album, but I agree with Technocrat...that is back ward's thinking and confusing.