Sunday, October 2, 2011

BBRS Interviews: Access Immortal



Who is Access Immortal?
Access Immortal is a fan of Hip Hop and music and general that got into the business to try to make a difference and contribute to the artform that I grew up on. I try and bring people a reality sound of music. I rhyme about things I really go through or see around me and not a life that most people can't relate to like some other artists do.

What was your first encounter with Hip Hop?
Back when I was a kid and the radio was my window into all these dope artists. I wasn't even allowed to listen to half the people I did, but I listened anyway, sneaking explicit tapes into the house and hiding them. I didn't even know who I was listening to half the time but I was hooked to listening to Funkmaster Flex and in the 90's when Clue had a mixtape show. I loved that era because he played a lot of artists who would never get play on regular radio.

What artists have influenced you?
A bunch over time but to run down a few when I first got into it. Mobb Deep, The Lox, Big Daddy Kane, Nas, Buckshot and later on just good songmakers. I love everything T.I. puts out, he says some really deep stuff in his music. Sometimes the message gets lost on people because an artist is successful and they feel like only someone who's underground or indie is worth hearing and that's not even true. Anyone can make good music and a lot of people do. People just have to stop being close minded and realize, good music comes from every angle, and not just with Hip Hop either.

How long have you been rhyming?
I started back in the late 90's but I never took it serious, it was just something to play around with. I didn't really get serious until probably 2001 when I felt like I could make something out of it. Before then it was just doing freestyles and rhyming over other people's beats, and once I took it serious, I started making my own music and putting together full length projects.




Where did you get your name from?
It's just something I came up with when I first started taking music serious. It doesn't have any special meaning or anything like that though.

What makes you different from other MC's?
I just think that I'm always myself, inside and outside the music. It's not really 2 seperate persona's. I also don't follow any trends of what's supposedly hot at the moment. I make the music I like to make and it stands out because other people are trying to make what they think is going to get them signed or make them rich, even though it's not that easy.

You have released "Last Summer In Brooklyn 2" earlier this year. How has it been received?
So far so good. I put it out in January and the response was great from the start. I've put out 3 videos from it so far and I'm about to release a 4th. Artists these days tend to put out projects and then work them for 5-6 months, then go on to the next one. I think people should stick with things longer because they don't really achieve the full potential of the music they're putting out, and that's what I'm trying to do with "Last Summer In Brooklyn 2". I want it to reach as high as it can and gain as many new fans as I possibly can with every project.




What are you currently working on?
Not much as far as solo work. I just want to push the stuff I already have out, but I have some side projects that I'll talk about in the future. The upcoming one is the Empire Nation 2 mixtape, which consist of myself, Verse Essential, J.D. Nero, Jukstapose, Fess Gotchu & Dayz Da Empora. We dropped the first mixtape back in May and had a great response from that, plus we produced 4 videos off the project which is unheard of for most free mixtapes. That along with some side stuff I'm coming up, along with "Last Summer In Brooklyn 2" already out is going to provide people with a steady flow of material for the rest of the year.

What is the last album you've bought?
I don't even remember. I don't buy too many albums anymore. I used to when I was a DJ, that's all I did, but since I became an artist, I don't even find the time to listen to as much other music as I would like to.

What are your interests outside of Hip Hop?
Outside of Hip Hop. I'm also a photographer, video director and a journalist. I like to keep a full plate, plus I'm a gamer aswell and I try to tie everything together when I'm making the music. Huge fan of movies too, I watch a lot of movies in my down time, as rare as that is lol. I like to know what goes on with current events too. I'm not into politics but I like to try and be a voice to people when it comes to social issues I have personal knowledge of, as I think sometimes people need advice from the inside. We as artists have such a voice that we should use it for more than just making music trying to become rich. When we rap about the hood or the ghetto, we wish we didn't have to, but so many people leave it and never look back, and they should, because just a few words can change anyone's life.

When can we expect you doing a tour in Europe?
Hopefully sooner than later. I'm working on some connects out there to get some dates I hope. Me and the promoters just need to get talking and make it happen because I get asked that alot.

Any last words?
I'd like to thank all my fans out that for supporting me. This year has been crazy with all the videos and getting this Empire Nation thing going. I have love for everyone that has been down since the start and all the people becoming new fans cause I need the support. You can never get too much support.
Stay on the look out for new music & videos from me aswell as shows and from everybody in the crew, and thanks for the interview.

Find out more about Access Immortal:
Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Bandcamp

No comments: